Holy Trinity Cathedral’s Value

Heritage Value

Holy Trinity Cathedral is valued historically for its association with the earliest settlement of New Westminster. The first Anglican service in New Westminster was held in 1859, reflecting the British origins of the Royal Engineers who founded the city. The Cathedral is one of the few buildings of downtown New Westminster that retains substantial fabric that has survived the Great Fire. Numerous important historic figures from the development and construction of British Columbia are featured in the Cathedral’s story; including clergy the Rev. John Sheepshanks and the Rt. Rev. Acton Sillitoe, Colonel R.C. Moody of the Royal Engineers, architect H.O. Tiedemann, builder Thomas Trounce and architect George Grant, as well as its association its association with many prominent New Westminster families.

Architectural Value

Aesthetically, Holy Trinity Cathedral is of architectural significance for its Gothic Revival style, and for its interior and exterior design. Little of the Cathedral has been changed, and it retains much of its original features and patina. The apse is illuminated by stained glass windows of exceptional quality, and the leaded windows of the nave are also fine examples of their craft.

Community Value

This has been the site of religious worship for longer than Canada has been a country. Beyond this historic significance, there is a deep-­‐rooted tradition of community involvement and service. The parish is active in charitable organizations, notably the New Westminster Homelessness Coalition, and as part of the Anglican Church of Canada is a participating member of the Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund. It also provides a breakfast program, providing free meals to the less fortunate and encourages participation from volunteers including students from St. Thomas More Collegiate. The Cathedral is the focal point for pastoral care to the community, including weddings, baptisms, hospital visitations and funeral services.